How To Create Ottomans from Flea Market Find Tables
A couple of months ago I got to go to the flea market in Fort Dodge, Iowa. It was a blast and I found several great items. Among my flea market finds were some small, square tables. I wasn’t sure what I would do with them until I was in a furniture store and saw some really nice ottomans. The tables were just the right height and size to create ottomans of my own.
This post is my entry for the July Fab Furniture Flippin’ Contest and the theme this month is Farmhouse Fun.
The sponsor for July is The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co. This is the same company that chose me as one of their brand bloggers. So I am happy that I got to use their paint for this contest too. How great is that?
The Old Fashioned Milk Paint Co provided me and the other contestants with the paint and/or other products for my ottomans and they will be providing the prize package for this contest. You can see my full disclosure here.
How To Create Ottomans From Flea Market Find Tables
Supplies Needed For Creating Ottomans
I am really trying to brighten things up in our living room. I started with painting the walls a few months ago then I replaced our dark wood TV stand with this made over dresser that we love! It holds all of our DVD’s too.
Now I can get rid of the large, dark ottoman. I searched high and low for our currant ottoman when I purchased it. I loved it. It has been great for many, many years but it is now time for something brighter and something that doesn’t make the room seem so small.
This is how the tables looked when I purchased them. I bought 4 tables. These two plus two others for $30.
I started by removing the table tops. I knew these would be covered with the foam and the fabric so I did not waste any paint on them.
Then I gave the legs a white primer coat using a spray paint/primers. I always do this now. It seems to be a huge time saver and paint save and then I don’t have to apply many, many coats of the good paint. You just never know when the stain will bleed through and most of the time it does. The primer helps a lot with that.
Then I mixed up my Snow White Old Fashioned Milk Paint and some of the Extra-Bond for my paint sprayer. This paint is the original true milk paint. Milk paint has been around for centuries but this recipe was created in the 70’s by Charles Thibeau. The best thing about this paint is that it is created with all natural ingredients. That means it will not harm the environment and in this day and age this is really important.
I used two coats from the sprayer and they were looking so good.
The next step was to add some green to the mix. I wanted them to perfectly match my TV stand so I used the same paint that I used on it.
I only painted it on the panels on the sides and the little grooves on the legs. Just a little accent. The Snow White was the star of the show!
I used my black ink pad to add my distressing instead of sanding because I like the look and it was what I used on the tv stand.
Then I added the Safecoat Acriglaze. This is a safe protective coating in a matte finish.
Creating The Cushion Tops
Then I got to work on the cushions.
I wanted something really comfy and durable. Not only do we put our feet on them but the cats love to be on the ottomans too. I decided to look for fabric that is designed for outdoor use. I thought this may hold up better in general and if something was spilled on them. Fingers crossed!
I found this stripe fabric that I liked a lot. It is the colors that I have throughout my lower level and it was something I thought Jeff would like as well.
I knew I didn’t want to place one large piece over the top of foam so I came up with a design.
I varied the design slightly from the photo above but you get the idea.
The foam pieces I purchased were 22″ x 22″. and they are 4″ thick. The tops of the tables were 20″ x 20″ so I cut two inches off each side of the foam. For the fabric I measured the foam piece, the depth of the foam (4 inches), enough to wrap around the wood table and underneath (another 4 inches) and 1/2 inch seam allowances. I rounded up to 30″ squares just to be safe.
I used my sewing machine to stitch the panels together then added some top stitching next to the seam. The gave it some detail and helped to keep the seams flat underneath.
This picture shows the very center of the fabric top. You can see the stitching on the green stripe. It is harder to see on the tan stripe but it is there.
I was really happy with the way they came out. Then Jeff helped my attach them with the foam onto the tables. We used a staple gun and then I carefully created the corners. Some came out great and others were not as nice. This was my second upholstery project. My first one was this awesome bench that I still love!
Here is the back of the table top after we got it done and I trimmed the excess fabric.
Then the tops we re-attached to the legs of the tables and they were done. I think they came out really nice and they are definitely comfortable. What do you think?
If you like it…be sure to pin it!
You can see more furniture makeovers in my gallery. Check it out.
You can see all of the entries for the Fab Furniture Flippin’ Contest as they come in by visiting
This contest is a lot of fun and if you are a blogger/furniture flipper you can join in as well. Just email to email@example.com for more information.
These gals are the hosts and they are super nice and very helpful!
I will let you know when the voting begins so you can go in and vote for your favorite! There are always so many awesome makeovers. Everyone is so talented. I am happy to be involved!
Thanks so much for stopping by.
You can see more of what I do and blog about by clicking on the following links: